At its regularly scheduled meetings during 2019 Beacon Angels entertained new funding proposals from companies and due diligence reports, respectively, as follows :
January 8, 2019
- Neurohydrate which offers a nutritional supplement to help migraine sufferers mitigate the gastrointestinal side effects of treatments, and
- Theromics, which offers a platform for surgeons and oncologists to thermally ablate cancerous tumors, potentially cutting recurrence from an average of 30% to zero.
Due diligence: Walch High School Math.
February 12, 2019
- WEVO, which enables marketers to evaluate and enhance digital experiences without the need for live traffic, disrupting the traditional market research and AB testing tools. and
- Xeno Biosciences, which is developing a treatment for obesity that mimics gastric bypass surgery with an enteric-coated pill composed of components that have been shown to be safe in man. It induces the same microbiome changes caused by the surgery resulting in weight loss.
We also entertained a presentation by The Capital Network.
March 12, 2019
- Cricduel, a fantasy cricket app (i.e. Draftkings, but for cricket) where users create fantasy cricket teams and compete with other users for cash prizes; and
- Canary, offering the services of an Airbnb, but for performing artists (bands and musicians) and venues such as restaurants and bars.
Due diligence reports: Wevo and Xeno Biosciences.
April 9, 2019
- Hilltop Biosciences, which develops and sells therapies for wound healing to large animal veterinarians; and
Shareity, which offers a patented social engagement platform to enable brands to create photo and video challenges whereby brands can donate money to causes as users complete the challenges.
Due diligence: Xeno Biosciences and Canary.
Beacon portfolio company Cognoptix delivered an update on its upcoming bridge round to a larger financing, whereby the valuation is hoped to represent at least a 10X increase over Beacon’s original investment over 10 years ago.
May 14, 2019
- Southie Autonomy, which is developing software to program robotic arms on the fly; and
- CloudKPI, which offers predictive analytics for SaaS businesses to use business data to identify what delivers positive or negative outcomes.
Due diligence report: Shareity.
June 11, 2019
- U-Chu Biosensors, which is developing real-time oral health sensors for critical care; and
- KingsCrowd, which is offering an analytics and ratings solution for online private equity markets.
Enviro Power, a past presenter offering a micro-power generation solution, gave Beacon an update on new progress and on its current funding round.
July 9, 2019
- Eden GeoTech, which is developing a new means of petroleum reservoir extraction using electrical stimulation in lieu of hydraulic fracturing; and
- Mollify, which use game techniques to incent smartphone users to create and upload their own video advertisements for client advertisers.
Due diligence reports on:
- Enviropower which is developing a furnace-based system for point-source power generation, and
- KingsCrowd, which seeks to become the Morningstar of the private equity markets.
September 11, 2019
- PartRunner, which provides on-demand deliveries for trades, construction and service businesses through (1) Web and mobile apps where customers can request, track and manage deliveries and (2) a mobile app that allows drivers to match with deliveries, see routes and manage their profile business model; and
- Revital Therapeutics, which is developing improved, skin-substitutes to serve the $1 billion diabetic wound treatment market.
October 8, 2019
- FastClose, which offers an on-line platform on which to close real estate sales and purchases; and
- ZipperAgent, offers an AI-based mobile and conversational smart assistant for real estate agents and brokers.
Due diligence: KingsCrowd.
We also heard progress reports about follow-on rounds by Datarista, Cognoptix and First Light.
We also considered follow-on funding proposals from Cognoptix and First Light Diagnostics.
November 12, 2019
- Uneva Health, which is developing a medical device to improve asthma inhaler usage and compliance; and
- JETCOOL Technologies, which is developing integrated cooling solutions for the most power-dense electronics in defense, e-sports and AI processing.
Due diligence: ZipperAgent.
December 10th, 2019
- Native Voice, which is developing an open operating system to enable manufacturers of smart headphones, a/k/a “hearables,” to add voice applications to any device; and
- Navigation Science, which is developing Image-guided Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (iVATS™) technology for the minimally invasive identification of early-stage tumors and their margins, and their more precise removal from the lungs and other soft tissues.
Due diligence: Uneva Health, and Jetcool Technologies.